Looking for for solutions for your greying hair? Check out our article on which hair dye for grey hair should I use?.
For all of us who dye our hair regularly, we know it is a bit expensive to have those salon trips every now and then. Besides the money, we need proper time and commitment when coloring your hair. It becomes a bit tough to go to the salon to dye our hair.
But thanks to the new innovations which have made it possible for us to dye our grey hair at the ease of our home itself. So, in this article, we will be talking about some safe-to-use hair dyes for grey hair. We hope that this list of best hair dyes and the buying guide help you in finding the best one for your hair.
After having reviewed 100 hair dyes for grey hair in the UK based on various factors like effectiveness, ingredients, usage, price and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 7 that really stood out. These 7 were further put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best hair dye for grey hair in the UK is Garnier Nutrisse Crème Permanent Hair Dye. It is known to last a really long time. The Garnier Nutrisse Crème Permanent Hair Dye also nourishes your hair deeply for at least up to 8 weeks after use.
Top 7 Hair Dye for Grey Hair.
- Garnier Nutrisse Crème Permanent Hair Dye
- Garnier Olia Permanent Hair Dye
- L’Oreal Paris Colorista effect Bleach Lightening Kit
- L’Oreal Magic Retouch Hair Dye Spray
- Clairol Root Touch-up Permanent Hair Dye
- Clairol Nice’n Easy Crème Natural Hair Dye
- John Frieda Precision Foam Color Hair Dye
How to choose the Best Hair Dye for Grey Hair?
However, you can choose any of the reviewed hair colors given in the list. But even if you are not satisfied with the list discussed, you can go for any other hair dye too. You should also consider some important points that will help you choose the right one for you.
These things which you should take into consideration while buying the best hair dye for grey hair UK are:
Brand of the Hair Dye
- Always look for the brand and its products before trusting them. Reading the product reviews is one of the best options to come to a conclusion. So, always consider doing proper research of the brand.
- It is not important that one color which looks good on an individual will look good on you too. So, always consider your skin tone before coming to a conclusion of which color to go for.
- Warmer skin tones go well with colors like honey blonde, golden brown, or caramel shades. While the people with cooler skin tone should go for hair colors like ash blonde, platinum blonde, or jewel tones.
- Always go for the hair colors which are really easy to apply. Or the hair dyes which you can apply without the need of anyone else. The one-step application process of hair dyes is always easy to cope with. So, consider this too.
Hair type and Ingredient
- If you think coloring makes your hair feel damaged or broken, then always choose a hair dye with nourishing properties. There are hair dyes available in the market which protects your hair from dryness and frizz. So, go for such products only.
What hair dye ingredients should you stay away from?
There are a number of harmful ingredients used to make hair dye, and using the wrong products can lead to severe complications with your hair growth and scalp. That is why it’s best to stick to natural dyes and not ones that are synthetically manufactured.
Here are a couple of ingredients to watch out for when buying your next pack of hair dye.
- PPD – PPD containing hair dyes have been associated with cancer and mutagenicity. It’s toxic to the skin and can cause allergic contact dermatitis.
- MEA – While MEA is not entirely a problem when it comes to hair dye as the amount used in the formula is less. This product is known to be toxic, flammable and corrosive, but is better than Ammonia based products.
- Ammonia – Can cause skin irritation when it comes in contact with water. The fumes can cause lung problems, throat infections and even eye infections.
- Parabens – This additive can cause serious damage to your hair and leads to dryness as well as roughness in your hair.
How we tested hair dyes for grey hair?
Hair dye is not easy to test unless you have access to a lab. However, there are a bunch of ways you can check to see if the hair dye is safe to use and if the dye will last.
We tested the color retention of these hair dye products over a 2 week period. this test included washing your hair, drying it and even exposing it to the sun after applying the dye to determine if the color lasts and the dye does not fade in a couple of days.
The second test we conducted was to see just how effective the dye was at covering greys and whether multiple coats had to be applied to cover any grey hair. This test also helped us figure out if the dye is easy to use and if it works with greys.
Finally, each dye was reviewed to see if using them resulted in shiny, soft and smooth hair. Since not all hair dye products are good and safe to use, it’s ideal to pick one that’s going to be beneficial to your hair growth.
Based on our findings, the following hair dyes were rated on a scale of 1-5.
Check out conditioners for grey hair here.
Hair Dye for Grey Hair in the UK
Garnier Nutrisse Crème Permanent Hair Dye
The Garnier Nutrisse is indeed the best hair dye for covering your grey hair. This is why we have kept it at the topmost position on our list.
- This permanent hair dye gives a nourishing effect on your hair. You will get a natural look with multi-toned blonde results in your hair. The colour effect of this product is very long-lasting. You can get 100% grey hair coverage with this Garnier Nutrisse hair crème.
- One more positive point you get with this one is that you can choose any colour from the list of 40 shades which are all impressive to see.
It comes with the restoring conditioning power of 5 oils: Olive, Avocado, Shea, Argan, and Cranberry oil. This hair dye nourishes your hair deeply and ensures anti-dryness for at least up to 8 weeks after use.
- Easy to use
- Gentle on the hair
- Long lasting effect
- Smell is not too great
Rating – 4.5
Related: Best Shampoo Bars for Curly Hair !
Garnier Olia Permanent Hair Dye
This hair dye gives you an even colour on your overall hair which looks elegant and stays for a long time to give a shiny blonde effect. The major positive point of this hair colour is that it is ammonia-free which means your hair will not get damaged after using this one.
- This best hair dye for grey hair UK is made with about 60% natural oils extracted from flowers. This color will also nourish your hair and make them even shinier after every use. Also, it will give protection to your hair from dryness.
- Moreover, the product is available in over 30 different shades. So, you can choose anyone as per your likings to cover your grey hair naturally.
The non-drip texture of the dye gives comfort to your scalp while in the process of application. And its floral fragrance also makes your dyeing experience pleasing and calming.
- Non drip
- Available in over 30 shades
- Ammonia free
Rating – 5
Related: Check out our list of the Best Heated Rollers UK
L’Oreal Paris Colorista effect Bleach Lightening Kit
This product is also among the best ones for colouring your grey hair. You can opt for this hair bleach with no ammonia and a product formulated with oil power to give your hair colour as well as nourishment at the same time.
- It also comes with an anti-brassiness conditioner that nourishes your hair even after bleaching. It gives a beautiful, pure blonde hair colour without causing any harshness or brassiness to your hair. Always take the patch test before using it completely on your hair.
- The application process is simple and anyone can use this hair bleach at the ease of their home itself.
Everyone with any hair type can use this product because it has an oil-based formula that does not negatively impact any hair type. You can get over 10 shades in this product.
- Nourishes the hair
- Gentle on the hair – No ammonia
- Available in 10 shades
- Effect doesn’t last
Rating – 4.5
Related: Check out our list of the Best IPL Hair Removal Devices UK
L’Oreal Magic Retouch Hair Dye Spray
This hair dye is a new innovation for covering your grey hair. This dye spray covers your grey hair completely and gives a natural shine to your hair. Both men and women can use this spray hair dye.
The hair dye has properties of anti-dryness which makes your hair flowy and moisturized after use. It is an exclusive product of the L’Oreal brand and the best hair dye for grey hair UK
- Provides a natural shine
- Spray form
- Smell is not too great
Rating – 4.5
Clairol Root Touch-up Permanent Hair Dye
Clairol root touch-up hair dye for complete grey hair coverage is the most popular product in the UK for this purpose. This hair dye is an ideal product for covering your grey hair without having any salon appointments and spending a lot of money there.
- The wide variety of shades available in this hair colour matches every hair shade and also the salon hair colours. Clairol hair dye’s application process takes just 10 minutes and gives your hair a natural and nourished look that lasts for up to 3 weeks.
- It is available in about 20 different colour shades to match your requirements. It comes with a salon-inspired precision hair colour brush that ensures easy and quick hair dye application.
Its colour crème formula has a blend of different tones, making your hair look even coloured from roots to the tips by blending the roots seamlessly.
- Over 30 colors available
- Gentle and safe to use
- Long lasting application
Rating – 4.5
Clairol Nice’n Easy Crème Natural Hair Dye
People extensively use this hair dye as the best hair dye for grey hair UK for making their grey hair look naturally black and fabulous. This hair dye covers your grey hair with 100% precision and is crème based hair colour product.
This hair color gives you a natural look with a blend of 3 salon color tones as well as highlights in just one simple step of the application. This hair dye is oil-infused which gives a shiny and soft appearance to your hair.
After application, this hair dye lasts in your hair for about 28 washes which means the life of this hair color is incredibly satisfying. It is available in about 50 shades to match your hair type.
- Easy to use
- Gentle on the hair
- Long lasting effect
- Messy product
- Too harsh
Rating – 4
John Frieda Precision Foam Color Hair Dye
This salon-quality hair color is again one of the best products you can use for covering your grey hair precisely. The non-drip formula of this hair dye makes you able to cover each and every strand of your hair correctly.
It gives up to 100% coverage of grey hair. The nourishing conditioner that comes with the pack locks the color into your hair and provides your hair’s essential nourishment.
For best results, always choose a shade of hair color that is no more than two shades off from your actual hair color.
- Provides deep color
- Spreads easily
- True to color
- May lead to dryness
Rating – 4.5
So, these were some important things which you should keep in your mind before buying a hair dye for your home use. Always watch for the product’s ingredients and go for a hair dye that causes no to minimize damage to your natural hair. Do not ever forget to take a patch test before complete the application.
However, the best hair dye options for grey hair UK which we have reviewed are all of the high quality and are tested and researched well. So, you can straightly go for these products also. Even if you want to try any other brand or product, consider the things discussed above.
How do you apply hair dye to cover greys?
Applying hair dye is a tiresome process and involves a lot of steps that have to be carried out with utmost caution.
- Step 1 – Choose the dye you want to apply on your hair
- Step 2 – Weave in the highlights and low-lights to contrast the greys along the length of your hair starting 2cm off your scalp
- Step 3 – Leave the hair dye in for as long as mentioned on the box.
- Step 4 – Wash out the hair dye and dry your hair using a hairdryer or a towel.
- Step 5 – Use some hair products to set your hair how you like
Can any hair dye color be used to color in greys?
No, light shades will not cover grey hair 100% and only natural shades like black, burgundy, brunette and brown can color in greys and whites.
Why won’t my grey hair retain color?
If your hair is damaged and lacks natural oils then the rough surface will not hold the hair dye and your hair will end up rejecting the dye. Make sure your oil levels are balanced and the roots are moisturized before applying hair dye.
How long must you leave hair dye on your roots?
It’s a good idea to give your roots some time to absorb the color, but try not exceeding 10-15 minutes or the duration that’s mentioned on the instruction booklet.
Does blonde cover grey hair?
Depends on the shade of grey hair you have. If you have light grey hair then yes blonde will do the trick. But if your hair is a steel grey
Should I shampoo my hair after dying it?
For the color to stay it’s best if you don’t shampoo your hair for at least 72 hours after application. Once your cuticle layer fully closes, it’s safe to wash your hair. This process normally takes 3-4 days, so it’s best to wait for that long.
Joanna is a writer, poet, stand-up comedian and holds two master’s in arts and history. She founded Discount-age with the intention of providing her readers with solutions to everyday household problems. During her free time, Joanna loves cooking but usually ends up ordering in.
Best Hair Dye for Grey Hair UK
Check out our list of the Best Hair Dye for Grey Hair UK!
Product SKU: BHG9230
Product Brand: Garnier
Product Currency: GBP
Product Price: £4.50
Price Valid Until: 2022-12-31
Product In-Stock: InStock
Table of Contents