Tea is an important part of Brit culture, tea has simply become an essential component of our lives. However, did you know that Green Tea is the second most-consumed tea in the country? Green Tea which originated in Aisa is the most popular Tea in the UK. This speaks volumes as to the numerous benefits of this tea. Check out our list of the top Green Teas For Weight Loss UK for more details.
While it is one of the healthiest drinks in the world, not all brands of Green Tea are good. For example, Green Tea has its roots in China but it’s the Japanese Matcha Tea that’s more beneficial to the human body. This depends on various factors like climate and the process of preparation. It can even depend on the type of kettle and boiling time.
Matcha is finely ground green tea powder that’s high in a Catechin called EGCG which is linked to various health benefits such as preventing heart disease, Type-2 Diabetes, and much more.
Recommended Read: Online Coffee Beans
This isn’t to say that Chinese Green Teas are bad. In fact, some Chinese teas taste absolutely brilliant. Since there are various green tea brands out there, we’ve reviewed and curated a list of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK.
After reviewing close to 100 green teas based on various factors like taste, origin, quality, benefits and much more, my team and I at Discount Age Zeroed in on 7 that really stood out. These 7 were further put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best green tea in the UK is Matcha Green Tea Powder (Super Tea) by PureChimp. This matcha green tea is directly sourced from Japan and its extremely nutritious in nature. It is loaded with high levels of antioxidants and beneficial amino acids that not only helps the consumer lose weight but it also helps them improve their mood and memory.
|Green Teas For Weight Loss UK||Price|
|Matcha Green Tea Powder (Super Tea) by PureChimp||£9.95|
|Japanese Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder by NaturaleBio||£12.99|
|Tea Pigs Mao Feng Green Tea Bags||£13.46|
|Mighty Matcha Tea||£8.99|
|English Tea Shop’s Pure Green Tea||£10.99|
|Pukka Green Collection||£15.40|
|Natural Chinese Jasmine Green Loose Leaf Tea by The Tea Makers of London||£7.45|
Types of Green Tea
Although green tea comes from the same tea plant, there are many varieties. These varieties of green tea do not just differ in taste but also benefits. The reason for these differences are dependent on various factors like the location and altitude at which its grown, the harvesting methodology and the process of preparation.
Matcha Green Tea
- Matcha is a unique green tea from Japan. This highly nutritional tea is known to have as much as 10 times more antioxidants than other types of green tea. It also has a unique amino acid composition that reduces stress and anxiety.
- Most importantly, this tea is so pure it’s used in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies. This tea is unlike other varieties, it isn’t made out of tea leaves. It is prepared by grinding tea leaves into fine powder. Consuming this powder is far more beneficial that straining tea leaves.
- Matcha tea is grown in a shade which results in the formation of high levels of chlorophyll, making it one of the best green teas in the world. It also tastes quite rich sweet taste with smooth textures notes of nuts. It’s one of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK.
Sencha Green Tea
- Sencha Green Tea is one of the most common varieties from Japan. Contrary to popular belief this green tea is actually prepared from Chinese green tea leaves.
- The leaves are gathered from a from the first or second growth cycle of a plant. Usually tea leaves are yearly but they do grow twice. The first harvest is referred to as flush and contains a large amount of antioxidants among other nutrients. Second flush on the other hand as a unique taste.
- Once harvested, these tea leaves are steamed to prevent oxidization. Following which, the leaves are rolled into tiny needles. This tea is referred to as Sencha.
- Other than having a decent quantity of Antioxidants, these tea leaves are also mild in taste. It has a sweetish grass-like taste with a hint of bitterness. When prepared this tea looks greenish golden.
Jasmine Green Tea
- Jasmine green tea is a scented type of green tea. Although the leaves themselves are of Chinese origin, Jasmine flowers are added to it during the refining process. This results in the formation of a floral aroma and sweet tasting tea.
- Although this type of tea does not have major benefits, it does help calm your nerves.
Guide to Buying Green Tea For Weight Loss
- Go for flavored or herbal green tea with mild aroma and avoid teas that have sugar added in them.
- Check if your tea contains any laxative like aloe or castor oil. If yes then avoid it as they induce nausea, cramping, diarrhea etc.
- Choose a green tea that has high amounts of EGCs. According to a study, EGC and caffeine combined can increase weight loss if taken 90 mins before workout.
- The caffeine content in your green tea shouldn’t be very high (75 mg maximum) otherwise it might harm you and disrupt your sleep cycles.
7 Green Teas For Weight Loss in the UK
#1 — Matcha Green Tea Powder (Super Tea) by PureChimp
PureChimp’s Matcha Green Tea Powder is probably the most popular and effective brand of Green Tea. It is sourced directly from Japan and boosts high nutritional and health benefits. It’s definitely one of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK.
- This ceremonial grade Matcha comes in a Recyclable glass jar with an aluminium lid
- This PureChimp Matcha is especially high in EGCG and has over 50x the anti-oxidising power of spinach per grams. That’s a lot of beneficial Anti-oxidants.
- According to manufactures, this green tea can help burn calories, improve your mood, memory and even concentration. While it might be a bit exaggerated, it can certainly have those effects in the long run.
- This versatile tea powder is pesticide-free, comes with no artificial colours and is vegan-friendly. Best brewed with Hot water, Milk or with a Smoothie.
What’s in it for you?
Most importantly, it is high in caffeine and beneficial amino acids. So, it helps improve your metabolism and energy levels. It’s can make you feel great for up to 6 hours.
- High in EGCG
- High Anti-oxidising capabilities
- Burn calories, improve your mood, memory and even concentration
- No artificial colours
- Improve your metabolism and energy levels
#2 — Japanese Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder by NaturaleBio
This Japanese Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder by NaturaleBio is another premium-grade green tea that’s sourced directly from Japan, specifically, From Uji in the Kyoto Prefecture. The soil and climate of this place are as ideal as it can get to obtain premium-grade Matcha.
- This is packaged in a brown paper packaging with the logo in the front portion and the Nutritional benefits on the back portion.
- This Matcha is 100% organic and free from all sorts of chemical fertilizers, It’s primarily grown to be of help to the human body and improve health. It has an organic certification from inspection bodies Authorised by the Ministry of Agriculture.
- This Matcha is Extremely delicious with essential no bitter taste and is, of course, high in Anti-oxidants. It’s a close competitor to PureChimp and it’s one of the Best Green Teas UK.
What’s in it for you?
This Matcha is a premium grade which can be used for drinking and culinary purposes. You’ll get the most out of this Green tea if you mix one gram od the Matcha Powder with 80ml of hot water at 60 degrees celsius.
- Premium grade Matcha
- Beneficial to health
- Can be used for both drinking and culinary purposes
- 100% organic
- Sourced from Japan
#3 — Tea Pigs Mao Feng Green Tea Bags
Tea Pigs is a unique company that specialises in manufacturing tea bags with whole leaves instead of the dust-like tea you normally find in regular brands. The Tea Pigs Mao Feng Green Tea Bags is no different. It’s high in quality and flavour profile. Due to the almost perfect infusion, it’s one of the Best Green Teas UK.
- You get Fifty Tea Bags with loose Green Tea leaves that are sourced directly from China. This light and pure green tea is grown in a place where it’s humid throughout the year. So when it comes to flavour and taste it’s the best.
- Although it does not have the extensive benefits of Matcha, it does have a lighter version of the same benefits. It can help with weight loss to anti-ageing and it can be consumed regularly unlike Matcha.
What’s in it for you?
These tea bags come in a proprietary temple-shaped like mesh bag with larger holes. This combined with the bigger tea leaves results in more quality and flavour profile. Of course, you also get the entire benefits of green tea without losing anything to poor packaging.
- Unique Biodegradable Bag
- Bigger Tea leaves
- Light flavour profile
- Mild health benefits
- Great taste
#4 — Mighty Matcha Tea
Mighty Matcha is an award-winning organic green tea powder that is of the highest grade. Even when compared to other Matcha Powders it boasts a higher Theophyille and Amino Acid count. Best of all this Matcha tastes absolutely brilliant.
- The Mighty Matcha Tea powder is packed in a cute travel-sized tin can. That’s tight enough to maintain the freshness for every serving. You get 30 Grams of ultra fined ceremonial grade matcha in one of these cans.
- As mentioned earlier it has a stunning flavour profile. It’s smooth and creamy sweet flavour, unlike the majority of the bitter-tasting Matchas out there. This makes it ideal for not only drinking but also cooking baked goods.
- Unlike other caffeinated drinks that give you the jitters, This mighty Matcha Tea is a natural energy booster due to its naturally occurring amino acid L-Theanine and Theophylline. It also has other benefits such as weight loss and calming effects.
- This tea is best prepared with water that’s boiled to around 65-72 degrees celsius. You can easily achieve this stable temperature with some of the best kettles out there.
What’s in it for you?
This Matcha is rich in antioxidants and EGCG and is responsible for promoting fat loss. As the fat in your body is broken down, you get more energy. The antioxidants help boost your immune system so it can fight infections.
- Rich in antioxidants and EGCG
- Helps with fat loss, and helps calm your mood
- Boosts the immune system and also helps calm you
- Brilliant flavour profile
#5 — English Tea Shop’s Pure Green Tea
Although this tea has pure green tea in its name, the English Tea Shop’s Pure Green Tea is actually a blend of Cranberry and Lime flavoured Green Tea with Matcha. It also has a bit of Manganese added to it. Don’t worry it’s completely safe. In fact, it’s actually beneficial to the human body.
- The English Tea Shop’s Pure Green Tea consists of 20 tea bag sachets that come in a light green cardboard packaging. The Tea Bags ensure you get the full benefits of green tea and the convenience of a teabag.
- Drinking at least 1 cup of this tea a day results in a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, This green tea, especially the manganese contributes to an energy-yielding metabolism that improves your every day well being.
What’s in it for you?
This Green tea has is not only beneficial to health but also has a unique flavour profile. It has a juicy taste because of the cranberry, lime and matcha blend that can tease your taste buds with every sip.
- Amazing Flavour Profile
- Improves well being and increases metabolism
- Tea Bag form for convenience
- Contains a bit of essential manganese which also contributes to improving your health
#6 — Pukka Green Collection
The Pukka Green Collection is a pretty popular brand of green tea. Pukka tea leaves are whole leaves blended together from organic ingredients sourced from around the world. Every sip will make you feel healthy and full of vitality. t’s one of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK.
- This green tea blend comes in the form of a teabag. Each bag has two chambers that allow these incredible herbs to flow and release the full potency in your cup.
- The health benefits are actually varied as the herbs in this blend help improve different aspects of the body.
What’s in it for you?
The Pukka tea bag comes in its own recyclable envelope to retain the essential oils, thereby improving the longevity of the tea. Infuse the bag in water for 15 minutes to get the best of every herb.
- The Teabags have Envelopes to retain Essential oils
- Varied health benefits
- Blended Tea of various different herbs
#7 — Natural Chinese Jasmine Green Loose Leaf Tea by The Tea Makers of London
The Natural Chinese Jasmine Green Loose Leaf Tea by The Tea Makers of London has one of the best-tasting flavours. It’s primarily made from a blend of Chinese Green Tea and natural Jasmine Flowers. This refreshing tea also has a wonderful aroma that will calm you.
- The tea leaves are packaged in a cylindrical black caddy. It gives you a premium vide just from the container. Once the tea is mixed with the water, it generates a bright yellowish-green colour with a calming Jasmine scent.
- The Taste is absolutely stunning. It tastes light and fresh, the hint of Jasmine by itself is an experience.
What’s in it for you?
Jasmine green tea is one of the healthiest areas that are made from lightly fermented leaves. It is known to contain a high concentration of powerful antioxidants called polyphenols.
- Extremely healthy
- Amazing taste
- Wonderful Aroma
- Comes in a black caddy
How does green tea help in weight loss?
Green tea is made with caffeine and antioxidants, let’s study the roles of each to find out how green tea aids in weight loss:
Caffeine and weight loss: Caffeine helps us in staying active which is why most people drink coffee. However, switching to green tea will be better as it has only 75 mg of caffeine, much less than that in coffee.
Caffeine has been proven to aid fat burning and improve workouts. This is great because you’re not only losing weight by drinking it alone but also shedding extra during your workouts by staying active. It’s present in fat burning and pre workout supplements as well to boost your performance.
Antioxidants and weight loss: These plant based compounds fight with free radicals present in the body and lower oxidative stress created by free radicals. Most studies show that a group of antioxidants has fat loss abilities.
This group of antioxidants, particularly EGCs (epigallocatechin gallate) has anti-fattening cells. This is because EGCs increase metabolism, cut fats and also increase fat oxidation.
Gets fat cells moving: When we eat normally but maintain our weight by running then the fuel or energy required is taken by the fat cells. The fat cells need to break down and be pushed to the bloodstream with the help of norepinephrine fat burning hormone.
Hence, EGCs here help the norepinephrine to increase fat breakdown and hence, leads to faster weight loss.
Helps you burn more fat during workout: This was already mentioned before that caffeine combined with EGCs help you workout better and enable more fat loss. It forces the body to dig into the fats stores and help in better weight loss.
Metabolism benefits: Green tea increases metabolism and helps the chemical processes inside your body to take palace faster. This results in sooner weight loss. On an average, green tea can increase your metabolism by 3-4% and you can burn a little extra calories than usual. This is because of the presence of ECGs in your green tea.
Reduces food cravings: Green tea increases metabolism by burning fat cells into body fuel but also reduces food cravings. However, there are chances that you might feel a false hunger alarm due to dehydration but it’s not for snacking, you only need to drink something that time.
So, grab a cup of green tea when you feel like it.
Targets dangerous body fats: Green tea is extremely beneficial for those who have focussed fats they want to get rid of from some of our internal organs. These fats are called visceral fats and are quite stubborn but with the help of green tea, it’s easy to lose visceral fats as well.
How to Use Green Tea for Weight Loss?
The chinese and the Japanese have been drinking green tea with their meals. This is a great practice as green tea aids in digestion and fills your hunger faster so that you can avoid binge-eating or overeating.
The antioxidants in tea called polyphenols and catechins increases metabolism and helps in faster weight loss. It’s best to have a hot or cold cup of green tea with each meal or start your morning with a cup or green tea.
Add a teaspoon full of green tea powder or leaves to hot water of 150 to 170 degrees celsius and let it brew. Don’t boil them together as it might result in bitter taste. You can add lemon and honey to enjoy the taste.
How to store Green Tea?
Storing green tea or any tea for that matter is quite complicated and the process of storing it needs to be thought through. As light, moisture and other ingredients can all deteriorate the quality of tea.
It needs to be ideally placed in an airtight container. It should also be stored in a placed without a lot of natural light at a temperature of about 30 and 40˚F. This can ensure a lifespan of up to half a year.
Of course, you can also store it in an opaque container, making your life much easier. When storing it in the jar, you should also ensure that it doesn’t contain a lot of space for air as it can oxidize the tea. So, you should ideally replenish when it’s at the halfway mark.
You should also ensure that the storage container is made of glass. However, the best material is ceramic as it doesn’t react with the external environment or the tea. Check out our list of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK for more details.
What is the healthiest type of green tea?
Matcha is Healthiest green tea. It’s a Japanese tea that’s made from finely ground green tea leaves. Since the whole leaf is ground into powder, this tea contains higher levels of antioxidants, amino acids and caffeine.
- It also contains high levels of EGCG that protect your body from inflammation and helps maintain healthy arteries. It also has amino acids that help improve your mood and energy. Matcha is also known to aid in weight loss. Check out our list of the Best Green Teas UK for more details.
When is the best time to drink green tea?
You can drink green tea as you start your morning before your breakfast. You can also have a cup in the evening but beware of the amount of caffeine as different green teas have different amounts of caffeine in it. Having it with each meal or before working out is also a good option.
Should you drink green tea before or after meals?
It’s best to have your green tea 45 minutes before or after your meals and not immediately when you’re going to have your meals. This will enable better digestion.
Should you drink tea before or after a workout?
Green tea before working out will improve your endurance and while post workout geen tea will refresh and relish your body. So, you can drink green tea both before and after your workout as per your convenience.
What happens if I drink green tea everyday?
Drinking green tea everyone can aid in weight loss, reduce the risk of dangerous diseases like cancer, heart disease or diabetes. Drinking 3-4 cups of green tea is good to reap maximum benefits.
How much weight can I lose in a month with green tea?
Studies show that green tea can help you lose about 3 kgs in a 12 weeks period of time given that you maintain your proper diet and work out regularly.
How long does green tea stay in your system?
Green tea reaches your blood in 30-60 mins at a peak level and has a half life of about 3 to 5 hours.
How many cups of green tea should I drink for weight loss?
Drinking about 2-3 cups of green tea is enough if you’re looking to lose weight. However, it depends on person to person because everyone’s body is different and requires different amounts of green tea.
Is green tea the best tea for weight loss?
Green tea is one of the best beverages that aids weight loss as well as reaps other benefits like boosting metabolism, reducing other diseases’ risk like cancer, diabetes as well as keeps the body active.
Does green tea have calories?
No, green tea has no virtual calories even if there’s any it’s in the digital form which doesn’t require consideration.
Does green tea reduce belly fat?
Yes, green tea reduces belly fat as well as visceral fat.
- Healthy Instant Noodles in the UK
- What are the Healthiest Yogurts in the UK
- Top British Chocolate Brands
Joanna is a writer, poet, stand-up comedian and holds two master’s in arts and history. She founded Discount-age with the intention of providing her readers with solutions to everyday household problems. During her free time, Joanna loves cooking but usually ends up ordering in.
Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK
Here's our list of the Best Green Tea For Weight Loss UK!
Product SKU: 100921
Product Brand: PureChimp
Product Currency: GBP
Product Price: 9.99
Price Valid Until: 2021-06-30
Product In-Stock: InStock
Table of Contents