Whether you want to fix holes in your worn-out clothes or if you want to be a fashion designer, sewing is one of the most important skills to pick up. Unfortunately, using a thread and needle can take a lot of time and effort. However, Sewing machines can not just drastically reduce time but it can also improve the efficiency and quality of each stitch. Check out our list of the Best Sewing Machines For Beginners UK for more details.
Although a sewing machine can be a pocket-friendly solution that serves you well in the long run, choosing the right one can be a little tricky as there is a wide range of sewing machines that vary from each other because of their use.
So we’ve made this list of the best sewing machines to help you choose the right one for your home or business. From beginner machines to special models for embroidery and multilayered fabrics, these sewing machines have a wide range of safety and fantastic features. Here are the Best Sewing Machines For Beginners UK.
After reviewing 50 sewing machines based on various factors like design, performance, functionality, features and much more, my team and I at Discount Age Zeroed in on 8 that really stood out. These 8 were further put through a series of stress tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best sewing machines for beginners in the UK would be Janome 6234XL Sewing Machine. This entry-mid level sewing machine is not only great for newbies but is also perfect as it adapts to the user’s growth in skill with its functions and features. Most importantly, it comes with an overlocker feature that can save the user from investing in a secondary overlocker device.
- Best Sewing Machines For Beginners UK
- #1 — Janome 6234XL Sewing Machine
- #2 — Brother Innov-is M230E Computerised Embroidery Machine
- #3 — Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- #4 — Janome Sewing Machine Atelier 7
- #5 — Janome Sewing Machine Sewist 725S
- #6 — Oberhoffe Mini Sewing Machine
- #7 — Singer 2273 Tradition Sewing Machine
- #8 — Bernina 475 Quilters Edition
Best Sewing Machines For Beginners UK
|Best Sewing Machines For Beginners UK||Price|
|Janome 6234XL Sewing Machine||£349.00|
|Brother Innov-is M230E Computerised Embroidery Machine||£849.99|
|Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine||£212.16|
|Janome Sewing Machine Atelier 7||£1,449.00|
|Janome Sewing Machine Sewist 725S||£359.00|
|Oberhoffe Mini Sewing Machine||£38.49|
|Singer 2273 Tradition Sewing Machine||£212.16|
|Bernina 475 Quilters Edition||£861.35|
#1 — Janome 6234XL Sewing Machine
The first one on our list is the Janome 6235XL for its capability of getting those hems done with perfection, its twin needle technology provides precision control almost over every fabric. It’s one of the Best Sewing Machines UK.
- This Sewing machine comes already threaded with cones, so you can get started without a problem.
- The Janome 6234XL overlocker has an amazing build quality and sewing power! It has 2 needles and 4 thread overlock stitching.
- With the colour-coded thread guide and self-threading lower looper, threading can be done with minimal effort.
What’s in it for you?
The overlocker feature of the Janome sewing machine can quickly switch to rolled hemming without the need to change the needle plate. Most importantly, it Saves you time and is really helpful for quick hemming work.
- It has a sturdy build quality and comes with threaded cones easy for beginner tailors to get started with.
- The overlocker has 2 needles for precision and up to 4 thread overlocking sewing for different fabrics.
- With the colour-coded thread guide, there isn’t much room for error making this an ideal sewing machine for family use with little sewing experience.
#2 — Brother Innov-is M230E Computerised Embroidery Machine
The Brother Innov is an intuitive embroidery machine that is suitable for both professional embroidery tailors to beginner tailors at home. It is programmed with 170 patters, designs, and fonts. The USB port is provided for you to upload your own design and have it done with ease with minimal supervision.
- It has an advanced needling thread system can make quick work out of any fabric threading, and panel options give you complete control over your embroidery projects.
- The Brother Innov is programmed with 170 built-in embroidery patterns, 14 stitch types to combine with 10 different frame shapes and powerful editing tools, like scaling, rotation, and layout for customization.
- Automatic thread cutter snips upper and lower thread automatically with the touch of a button.
- This machine can totally help maintain your clothes for a long time. Here’s another home appliance that’s just as important.
What’s in it for you
The Brother Innov can be controlled with an LCD touch screen and is compatible with other thread manufacturers in addition to its own, it can recognize threads from three other manufacturers and programs itself to stitch accordingly for amazing continued precision.
- The Brother Innov is a smart and intuitive embroidery machine that is easy to use by most.
- It comes with build-in patterns, designs, and fonts that can be selected with its LCD screen.
- The sewing machine can accept designs through USB and embroid them with perfection.
#3 — Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
This beast of a sewing machine can make quick work of curtains and heavy fabrics such as leather and jeans with its powerful motor. The metal frame and stainless steel plate give it a sturdy and industrial look. It comes with 32 stitch programs, a one-step buttonholing function, and an auto needle threader everything a modern tailor would need.
- It has a maximum sewing speed of 100 stitches-per-minute, one of the fasted sewing machines in its range and a 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick fabrics.
- The built-in auto needle threader feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without stress to the eyes.
- The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of fabrics, such as denim, home décor, blankets, crafts, and more.
What’s in it for you
The Singer 4423 is a heavy-duty industrial sewing machine and a true workhorse. With a metal interior frame, stainless steel bed frame, extra-high sewing speed, and powerful motor, allowing this sewing machine to handle a variety of heavyweight fabrics.
- This industrial heavy duty sewing machine is a beast among the lot. It has a fast sewing speed of 100 stitches-per-minute with the help of a strong motor. It’s one of the Best Sewing Machines UK.
- The auto needle threader can effortlessly thread the eye of the needle removing the stress on the eyes.
- It has a wide variety of stitching functions that can be sewed on the heaviest of fabrics.
#4 — Janome Sewing Machine Atelier 7
The Janome sewing machine is the cream of the crop for the experienced sewer. It has a powerful motor that can go up to 1,000 stitches per min and 170 stitching styles to choose from all of this are displayed in the lid when opened.
- The automated thread cutting twin needle snips the thread according to your liking.
- It can combine stitches to create amazing custom threads with multi-colour and also for thickness.
- It can punch 11 different styles of buttonholes for a custom look on all your fashion sewing. If fashion is your thing then this is the machine for you, it’s one of the Best Sewing Machines UK.
What’s in it for you?
The electronic knee lifter is an amazing feature that considers your sewing posture for lesser fatigue on your tail bone a big plus for big sewing projects.
- The Janome Atelier 7 sewing machine is a computerized sewing machine with 240 built-in stitches, including 11 one-step buttonholes and 7 alphabets.
- With a total arm length of 310mm and 210mm arm space right of the needle, this machine is ideal for large projects with precision sewing.
- Offers 91 needle position for amazing custom designs.
#5 — Janome Sewing Machine Sewist 725S
This sewing machine tops off as the most versatile all-rounder in our list. It’s amazing to start off with for beginner and can hold its own with professional sewers too. Even thou it has lightweight design it stays sturdy on the table and can be considered a perfect sewing machine for home use.
- The Janome Sewist 725s has a wide range of 25 built-in stitches, 1 step buttonhole puncher, and drop feed facility for freehand embroidery and quilting.
- A high-pressure footer helps fit bulky fabrics underneath the needle, making quick work out of curtains and quilts.
- The hardcover has a LED lighting system that is easy to operate and program different sewing styles.
What’s in it for you?
The top-loading bobbin and auto-declutching bobbin prevent the needle from moving up and down while winding the bobbin an excellent safety feature.
- The Janome Sewist 725s is one of the most versatile all-rounder sewing machines in its range, comfortable for both beginner and intermediate sewers.
- It is light in weight but yet sturdy enough to stay stable while sewing.
- It has 23 stitching styles and LED lighting transporting to choose it from making it an affordable versatile sewing machine to start off with.
#6 — Oberhoffe Mini Sewing Machine
This small, smart, and easy-to-use sewing machine is the most affordable and efficient sewing machine on this list. Its Double Thread & Double Speed features help you create a neat, straight, and firmer stitch. This household sewing machine has 2-Speed 12 stitches built-in sewing light. It can seam, hem, buttonholing, and auto winding to satisfy all your imagination about the overlock sewing machine.
- This electronic sewing machine is sturdy, yet lightweight in body build with a comfortable size, great for those with limited storage space.
- The Anti-slip Bottom Pads help ensure the machine stay firmly on the table while sewing heavy fabrics.
- A mini hidden drawer on the side of the sewing machine helps with the storage of accessories like threads, bobbins, needles.
What’s in it for you?
One of the unique features of the Oberhoffe Electric Sewing Machine is a LED light sewing light on the machine, you can focus on all the little details in your work for easy threading.
- The Oberhoffe Electric Sewing Machine is a smart and affordable sewing machine that is lightweight and can easily fit in small storage spaces.
- It is perfect for children who have the interest to start sewing and yet powerful enough to sew curtains for your room making it an ideal affordable sewing machine for your entire family.
#7 — Singer 2273 Tradition Sewing Machine
Singer 2273 is known for its compact and lightweight design. It is easy to use and can effortlessly thread with its built-in needle. You can adjust the stitch length which is a huge help for reinforcing a seam or longer stitches. Almost everything you can expect from a beginner sewing machine can be done.
- It has 23 built-in stitching styles that can adjust stitch length and width for custom fashion projects.
- Buttonholes can easily be made with the Fully automatic one-step buttonhole.
- Easily threads the needle without frustration or eye strain using its automatic needle threader feature.
What’s in it for you?
The automatic buttonhole stitch works in 1 simple step and there’s a free arm to easily sew sleeves and cuffs, which also doubles up as your board accessory storage.
- The Singer 2273 Tradition is a versatile machine that would be perfect for beginners as well as the intermediate sewer.
- Customize your home and fashion projects using any of the 23 built-in stitches including an automatic 1-step buttonhole and adjustable stitch length and width.
#8 — Bernina 475 Quilters Edition
The Bernina 475 sewing machine is great for sewing quilts and heavy fabrics. The high power motor can sew through multiple layers with ease, perfect for stitching curtains. It has a large bobbin with extra tread to avoid boons. All in all a brilliant thick fabric sewing machine. It’s by far one of the Best Sewing Machines UK.
- Automatic thread cutter helps you save time and no longer use scissors to cut your threads manually.
- Your hands stay free when the presser foot lifts up, but the needle remains in the fabric a comfortable floating condition that makes turning, quilting much easier.
- The Bernina grabber provides precise stitches with a maximum speed of up to 1000 stitches per minute.
What’s in it for you?
The patchwork foot #37 of the Bernina 475 is a wonderful tool for precise stitching when making patchwork blocks. It’s one of the Best Sewing Machines UK.
- The Bernina 475 sewing machine a perfect powerful sewing machine for home.
- It has a high power motor that has a maximum speed of up to 1000 stitches per minute that makes sewing quilts and curtains a breeze.
- The automatic thread cutter helps save time by removing the need to use scissors to cut the thread. Ideal for quilting and multilayered fabrics.
Types of Sewing Machines
Choosing the right sewing machine is extremely important. Especially, when you’re a beginner. This is because investing in an expensive sewing machine with loads of complex features would be a complete waste if your skill can’t catch up with the technology. Generally, there are three types of sewing machines:
Electronic sewing machines:
- Electronic sewing machines are the most common. Everyone would have seen one of these at some point in their lives. It is a bulky device and is usually operated using a pedal.
- These sewing machines usually have a powerful motor and a rotatable dial that can help adjust the stitching speed. This sewing machine is great for beginners as the foot pedal allows them to focus on guiding the cloth. The quality models can even provide the user with options to change the type of stitches and even decide the length.
Computerised sewing machines
- Computerised sewing machines are a level above electronic sewing machines. Unlike electronic machines, this type has more than a few motors and processing chips to execute complicated stitching movements and styles. It can help a total beginner stitch anything from clothes to even huge upholsteries.
- This type of sewing machines also has various functions and modes that store pattern memory and help execute certain actions with just a click of a button.
- Overlocker is quite different from the other two types of sewing machines. This one specialises in stitches the borders of clothes. This includes hems, fringes, seams and edges of the fabric. Although very specific in function, it is an absolute necessity when stitching large fabrics.
Which brand of sewing machine is best?
The best Sewing Machine Brand would have to be Singer, Bernina, Janome or Brother. Out of the innumerable sewing machine brands, these four stand out as they are legacy brands that specialise in manufacturing sewing machines and other sewing related accessories.
- All these Brands have almost a decade of experience manufacturing sewing products. So, you can be assured these brands are the best when it comes to quality and innovation. Especially, Singer, Bernina and Janome world-class manufacturing companies. Check out our list of Best Sewing Machines UK for more details.
- These Teenage Clothing Lines Will Stun You
- Luxury Brands That are Dirt-Cheap In London
- De-Wrinkle You Clothes With These Amazing Garment Steamers