We curated a list of best mosquito repellents for you. Check it out!
Summer is almost here and so are the pesky mosquitos, those unwanted itches at the least expected places can drive you nuts. Having to deal with the red bite marks is one thing and the risk of falling sick is another. Investing in a mosquito repellent is the logical choice. Check out our list of the Best Mosquito Repellents UK for all the details.
With so many contractable diseases out there you need to make sure you are well protected. Even at home. However, It’s not easy to choose the right mosquito repellent as some have a high concentration of DEET which might be harmful to your skin and health. It’s one of the best things to buy on Amazon UK.
So, we’ve taken the liberty and have curated a list of Best Mosquito Repellents UK.
|Best Mosquito Repellents UK||Best Known For||Features|
|Incognito Insect Repellent Spray||Best All-natural and Kid-friendly Mosquito Repellent||The repellent is all-natural which makes it kid-friendly and can last up to 5 hours protecting you from a wide range of insect bites.|
|Pyramid Trek 50 Insect||Best DEET Mosquito Repellent||This Insect repellent is 50 % DEET based and can last up to 6 hours before being reapplied and has been tested around all the regions in the UK making it perfect to carry for your vacation.|
|VIE Patch Anti Mosquito Patches||Best Patch Mosquito Repellent||The VIE Anit Mosquito Patches are healthy and natural making it comfortable for all ages. It comes in a pack of 20 and lasts for 36 hours which can easily last a month for the family.|
|Theye Mosquito Repellent||Best Bracelet Mosquito Repellent||These silicone bands are 100 per cent DEET free and come in a re-sealable pack to make sure it lasts long after a day’s use. They come in vibrant colours making sure to suit your stylish clothes.|
|Jungle Formula Maximum Strength||Best Travel Mosquito Repellent||The Jungle formula repellent is 50% DEET and aerosol mix making it an o-zone friendly repellent with up to 8 hours of protection.|
|Smidge Insect Repellent||Best Waterproof Mosquito Repellents||The smidge mosquito repellent is made of zero DEET which works well on your kids’ skin. It is waterproof and can last up to 8-hour upon applying.|
|Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray||Best Moisturizing Repellent||A well scented moisturizing repellent induced with citronella making sure you’re smelling good and well protected as the time.|
|Guard Moskito Repellent||Best For Pregnant Women||The Moskito guard repellent is DEET and alcohol-free making it comfortable on the skin and is well scented to wear it on an everyday base. It can last up to 8 hours and is waterproof.|
|Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent Spray Extra||Best Long-lasting Repellent||The best feature of the Mosi-guard is the long-lasting effect that can go up to 10 hours with zero DEET makes it perfect for all possible skin types.|
|Cidbest Mosquito Repellent||All-Natural Repellent||The Cidbest mosquito repellent can last up to 8 hours with zero irritation on the skin and comes in a compact spray bottle that fits perfectly in your backpack or pocket.|
|Lifesystems Expedition Plus 100+ Insect Repellent||Best all-round repellent||The Lifesystems mosquito repellent can protect you for over 100 insects for over a period of 10 hours before re-applying.|
|Calypso Insect Repellent Spray with DEET||Best all-insect repellent||The Calypso repellent spray offers up to 6 hours of protection from all kinds of insects including mosquitos|
|Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks||Best mosquito repelling incense sticks||The Murphy’s repellent sticks are made from natural ingredients and contain no added chemicals or additives|
|Cutter Citro Guard Candle Bucket||Best mosquito repelling candle||The Cutter Citro candle is perfect for outdoor camping expeditions and will protect you for up to 30 hours.|
|Evergreen Research SB39001 Insect Repelling SuperBand||Best mosquito repellent band||the Evergreen repelling band can be worn on anyone and they’re designed to expand and fit even big adults. It can offer up to 200 hours of protection.|
After having reviewed close to 100 mosquito repellents based on various factors like effectiveness, components, capacity and price, my team and I zerored in on 15 that really stood out. These 15 were further put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best mosquito repellent in the UK in 2022 is Incognito Insect Repellent Spray. While it only lasts for an hour, this all-natural mosquito repellent is effective against all kinds of mosquitos and most important it’s child-friendly as well. It is also extremely affordable as it only costs £14.
Best Mosquito Repellents UK
#1 — Incognito Insect Repellent Spray
This all-natural mosquito repellent is free from DEET-based formulas and is perfect for your kids to use and apply with its spray function. It can last up to 5 hours with maximum protection, perfect to apply on your child before they head to the playground.
- The incognito mosquito is a zero DEET based formula making it is safe to apply on your child’s skin, especially during summer when they’re out playing in the park where chances of insect bits are high.
- The formula can last up to 5 hours during any season because of its all-natural properties.
- The formula that makes the incognito mosquito repellent can not only repel mosquitos but also a wide range of pests and insects that are common to bite you.
What’s In It for you:
This unique mosquito repellent not only shields you from mosquitoes but also midges, sandflies, horseflies, ticks, and many more insects and can last up to 5 hours before re-applying.
- The repellent is all-natural which makes it kid-friendly and can last up to 5 hours protecting you from a wide range of insect bites.
|Made from non-toxic oils||Does not offer long lasting protection|
|Leaves your skin feeling nice|
|Smells great and is refreshing|
#2 — Pyramid Trek 50 Insect
The Pyramid Trek 50 is by far the best repellent with DEET of 50% that can last up to 6 hours. It has a very pungent odour even thou it might not go well with your perfume but it most definitely will keep all the insects away.
- The Pyramid trek 50 is 50% DEET based, the chemical is well known for its effective repellent properties making is ideal for outdoor treks.
- The Pyramid trek 50 can last up to 6 hours much longer than the all-natural repellents and provide a stronger resistance with compared.
- Tested and fully approved in the UK to make sure wherever you travel you are well protected against insects.
- Its Compact and carry friendly size is perfect to carry with you on your vacation.
What’s in it for you
It is a strong 50 per cent DEET based repellent making it one of the most effective repellents in the market. It can last up to 6 hours and has been tested and approved in the UK.
- This Insect repellent is 50 % DEET based and can last up to 6 hours before being reapplied and has been tested around all the regions in the UK making it perfect to carry for your vacation.
- While this product was worth mentioning. Personally I would go for the all-natural mosquito repellent.
|Great travel friendly packaging||Contains 50% DEET|
|6 hours more effective than natural repellents|
|Ideal for outdoor use|
#3 — VIE Patch Anti Mosquito Patches
The VIE Anti Mosquito patches are a great replacement if your skin is sensitive to the sprayable repellents, you simply stick the patch at a comfortable part of your body that people can barely notice. These patches are 100 per cent DEET free and can last up to 36 hours.
- The VIE anti-mosquito patch is made of skin-friendly material and is all-natural making sure you don’t have any side effects of wearing the patch for too long.
- The VIE anti-mosquito patches last 36 hours until your next patch should be applied. 20 in a box which easily can last you for a month without a problem.
- The properties in the patch can not only protect you against mosquitos but also against midges, no-see-ums, gnats, ticks, and sand-flies
What’s in it for you:
If you have sensitive skin this product is idle for your protection against insects as they are easy to apply and remove for the whole family.
- The VIE Anit Mosquito Patches are healthy and natural making it comfortable for all ages. It comes in a pack of 20 and lasts for 36 hours which can easily last a month for the family.
|Safe to use on the skin||May fall off if you brush against it roughly|
|Each patch lasts up to 36 hours|
#4 — Theye Mosquito Repellent
If you’re are not a fan of sprays and patches that make direct contact with your skin, the Theye anti-mosquito repellent is your answer. These silicon bands last up to 2 weeks and are made of lemon and eucalyptus extracts making it natural and harmless.
- Each band you put on can last you up to 2 weeks without change which offers you protection night and day without having to remember to reapply or spray on. The bands can also be re-sealed and kept for long-lasting use making it worth the money.
- The bands are free of DEET and are made of lemon and eucalyptus extracts that have zero side effects on your skin while wearing them.
- The bands can protect you while still making you look stylish as they come in vibrant colours for your choice.
What’s in it for you:
These silicone bands are made of lemon and eucalyptus extracts making it a natural product with zero side effects for the whole family. They come in different colors to suit the clothes of your choice.
- These silicone bands are 100 per cent DEET free and come in a re-sealable pack to make sure it lasts long after a day’s use. They come in vibrant colours making sure to suit your stylish clothes.
|Available in multiple colors||Not as effective|
|Fashionable and easy to wear|
|Made from natural ingredients|
#5 — Jungle Formula Maximum Strength
The Jungle formula is said to have the best protection against tropical mosquito and insects. It consists of 50 % DEET and aerosol giving it a strong chemical scent and gives protection for up to 8 hours perfect for your long weekend treks.
- The Jungle formula is 50% DEET based making it highly effective against mosquitos and 10% aerosol giving you maximal protection.
- The chemical composition of the jungle formula is made to be O-zone friendly.
- The 50% DEET makes the effectiveness of jungle formula last up to 8-hour before the need for you to re-apply.
What’s in it for you
The strong chemical formula makes it an essential while you go out trekking as it repels all forms of tropical insects.
- The Jungle formula repellent is 50% DEET and aerosol mix making it an o-zone friendly repellent with up to 8 hours of protection.
- Wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re actually venturing into a forest region.
|8 hour protection from insects||N/A|
|Great to use while trekking and hiking|
|Ozone friendly and safe for the environment|
#6 — Smidge Insect Repellent
The smidge insect repellent is one of the most unique waterproof repellents with zero DEET but replaced with a picaridin approved by WHO. It is kid-friendly and has a tolerable scent to it which offers an 8-hour protection period.
- Its made of Zero DEET making it an all-natural repellent spray. The all-natural combination makes it comfortable on the skin of all ages.
- The most important function is the fact that this repellent is made of a waterproof solution. So it has quite a high longevity. It provides protection for up to 8-hour before the need to re-apply.
What’s in it for you
The smidge mosquito repellent is waterproof making it perfect to use when going swimming in the lake or a dip in the ocean keeping your itch-free from all the insects.
- The smidge mosquito repellent is made of zero DEET which works well on your kids’ skin. It is waterproof and can last up to 8-hour upon applying.
|Long lasting 8 hour protection||Not as effective|
|Made from all-natural ingredients|
|Waterproof and sweat proof formula|
#7 — Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray
The one of a kind repellent double as a moisturizer which keeps your skin healthy and well scented. Its made of citronella which is as effective as DEET. most people enjoy the fact it smells good compared to how most repellents in the market smell making it essential wherever you go.
- Citronella is induced as a replacement for DEET making it healthy for the skin.
- The properties present in the repellent double as a moisturizer on the skin.
- The repellent is well scented to be worn indoors without causing any discomfort to you and others around you.
- The repellent has a non-sticky texture.
What’s in it for you
This unique repellent can not only keep those pesky insects away but also works as a moisturizing agent making your skin stays soft and protected with citronella a DEET replacement.
- A well scented moisturizing repellent induced with citronella making sure you’re smelling good and well protected as the time.
|Uses Citronella in place of DEET||N/A|
|Ideal for indoor use|
|Is not sticky and does not leave behind any residue|
#8 — Guard Moskito Repellent
The Moskito guard repellent is the only insect repellent recommended by Valneva a global vaccine manufacturer. It is DEET and alcohol-free making it skin-friendly to all ages and offers protection for up to 8 hours. It has a pleasant odour and is waterproof making it an everyday essential.
- DEET and alcohol-free makes it comfortable on the skin of all ages. This Repellent is approved by the world health organization.
- The mosquito guard is made to be waterproof for those days by the beach. It can last up to 8-hours before the need to re-apply.
- Moskito guard is non-greasy when compared to most repellents.
What’s in it for you
The Moskito guard repellent is a waterproof mosquito repellent with 8-hours of protection perfect for the weekend getaway to the woods. It is DEET and Alcohol-free suitable for skin of all ages 24 months and over.
- The Moskito guard repellent is DEET and alcohol-free making it comfortable on the skin and is well scented to wear it on an everyday base. It can last up to 8 hours and is waterproof.
|Offers waterproof protection||Smell may be overpowering|
|Lasts up to 12 hours|
|Alcohol and DEET free|
#9 — Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent Spray Extra
The Mosi-guard natural mosquito repellent stands out from the entire lot as the most long-lasting repellents which can last for about 10 hours with zero DEET making it comfortable on the skin and safe to use for all ages. It comes in a compact bottle that holds up to 75ml that fits perfectly in your pocket.
- Zero DEET is used to make Mosi-guard which makes it all-natural mosquito repellent.
- The compact design of the bottle of 75ml is travel-sized making it comfortable to carry anywhere.
- Mosi-guard provides 10-hours protection and is known for being one of the most long-lasting natural repellents in the market.
What’s in it for you
It’s been scientifically proven to last 10 hours making it one of the best repellents in the market. Most repellent is not safe for kids below 2 whereas the Mosi-guard is all-natural protecting kids from the young age of 6 months.
- The best feature of the Mosi-guard is the long-lasting effect that can go up to 10 hours with zero DEET makes it perfect for all possible skin types.
|Chemical free solution, safe to use on small children||Not ideal for tropical climates|
|Long lasting with 10 hours protection|
|Environmentally safe and travel friendly|
#10 — Cidbest Mosquito Repellent
The Cidbest mosquito repellent is an all-natural zero DEET and non-alcohol-based repellent. It has a mild scent and is safe on all skin types and can last up to 8 hours before re-applying.
- All-Natural Repellent with zero DEET comfortable on the skin of all age types.
- 8-hours of protection before the need to re-apply.
- Compact design adds so the repellent can be carried easily in your pocket.
- The Cidbest mosquito repellent offers a mild scent making it comfortable to wear around people.
What’s in it for you
The all-natural formula with zero DEET is it really safe on children and pleasant on the skin with a mild scent that can last up to 8 hours.
- The Cidbest mosquito repellent can last up to 8 hours with zero irritation on the skin and comes in a compact spray bottle that fits perfectly in your backpack or pocket.
|Non-alcoholic repellent, safe for the skin||Not as effective as the other repellents|
|Safe to use on pregnant mothers and small babies|
|Up to 8 hours protection|
#11 — Lifesystems Expedition Plus 100+ Insect Repellent
Finally, we come to the most effective repellent in areas of high risk. The Lifesystems mosquito repellent is concentrated with 95% DEET making it the strongest among the lot. It can last over 10 hours and can be applied over your sun protection causing zero damage to your skin when you’re out and about.
- Protects you from over 100 insects make it one of the best repellents in the market.
- Lasts over 10 hours making this most long-lasting repellent on our list.
- 95% DEET making it the most effective than all the above repellents.
- Works over the sunscreen making it perfect for the beach and to avoid sandflies at the same time.
What’s in it for you
This is the best repellent to take to the beach as you can apply your sunscreen to protect you from the sun and apply the repellent over it to protect you from mosquitos and sand flies making it a definite beach essential. However, unless you’re traveling to a beach with extreme conditions. It is recommended you use an all-natural repellent.
- The Lifesystems mosquito repellent can protect you for over 100 insects for over a period of 10 hours before re-applying. Its 95% DEET making it the strongest repellent against mosquitoes and insects and can be applied over sunscreen without any damage to your skin.
|Strong, long lasting effect||Not ideal for extremely hot days|
|Very effective at protecting you from moquito bites||Contains 95% DEET|
|Works as a sunscreen during the day|
#12 — Calypso Insect Repellent Spray with Deet
The Calypso Insect Repellent Spray with Deet is one of the most effective mosquito repellents in the UK. With over 25 years of history, this brand has developed various self care products. This insect repellent can not only protect you against harmful mosquitoes but also flies, mites and other harmful bugs.
- It comes in a 150ml aresol canister and can be used both locally or abroad. This mosquito repellent should be evenly sprayed onto all the exposed skin. During facial application, it is important to spray in onto your hands first before applying it to the face. It should be applied onto eyes or lips.
- This areosol spray has a terrific and pleasant fragrance. However, it is best to avoid breathing it in more than necessary.
Since it contains the chemical DEET, it is extremely effective and can protect you for an average of 5-6 hours.
- It can easily protect you from all types of stinging and blood sucking insects for an average of 6 hours.
- The aerosol spray helps simplify the application process.
|Safe to use on the face||N/A|
|Full body protection for up to 6 hours|
|Easy application method|
#13 — Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks
This natural mosquito repellent incense stick is one of the best solutions to get rid of mosquitoes. One incense can protect up to 2.5 hours. They’re plant based and contain citronella, rosemary, peppermint oils, lemon grass etc. that help to do away with mosquitoes.
It uses no chemicals, synthetic fragrances or toxic agents that will harm you. It covers a 12 feet radius around where it’s burning. It’s safe even to light around babies. The quality of the product is too good and it can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
- Incense stick type
- 2.5 hours protection
- 12 ft radius of protection
- Made with plant based ingredients
|Does not contain chemicals or artificial fragrances||Some may not like the scent of the smoke|
|Vast indoor coverage||Low burn time|
#14 — Cutter Citro Guard Candle Bucket
Cutter Citro Guard Candle is a really good mosquito repellent that burns for up to 30 hours to shun mosquitoes. It’s made with real citronella oil that is the natural mosquito repellent. It’s made only for the outdoors when you’re camping or on the patio.
It’s extremely easy to use as you just need to light the candle and in 5-10 minutes, the effects start to show up. It also repels other flying insects along with mosquitoes. It’s a 17 ounce candle that can be reused several times.
- Real citronella oil
- 30 hours burning time
- 17 ounce candle
- Easy to use
- Made only for outdoors
|Designed for outdoor use||Not ideal to use on a windy night|
|Offers long lasting protection|
|The candle can be reused many times|
#15 — Evergreen Research SB39001 Insect Repelling SuperBand
This is safe and one of the best mosquito repellents out there. It can be worn in hand and one size fits all hand sizes since it’s stretchable. It’s DEET free and wouldn’t harm you in any way. The band is also waterproof so you don’t need to remove it again and again.
One superband lasts up to 200 hours which means you can wear one for as long as 10 days. It also keeps away bugs and other insects along with flies. Just wear it even when you’re going out for fishing, BBQs, picnics, and other outdoor activities.
- Slip on; easy to wear
- Deet free
- 200 hours of protection
- Perfect for outdoor activities
|Safe to use on sensitive skin||Slightly expensive|
|Offers long lasting protection|
|Easy to use|
What Factors To Consider When Buying A Mosquito Repellent?
- DEET is a common chemical found in most insect repellent. In fact, insect repellents can be split into those that contained DEET and those that don’t. Although considered safe, personally, I’m against using DEET as it is considered a carcinogen when used long term.
- And it can cause skin reactions for young children and pregnant women. However, doctors do recommend using DEET if you’re travelling to a country with a high risk of mosquito-borne diseases. So, you’ll have to consult your GP regarding this.
- Repellents made from natural ingredients such as eucalyptus or citronella is just as effective. There are also repellents made from picaridin which is a synthetic product.
- It has to do a decent job. Some repellents claim 100% protection but unfortunately, they don’t work. Duration is also super important most mosquito repellents state they can last 24 hours but you’ll be surprised to find those bloodsuckers on you in just 6-7 hours. So, it’s important to get a highly effective mosquito repellent without having to re-apply every few hours.
- Clearly, this is a major one. You can’t go out and enjoy your trip if you’re smelling like crap. DEET while effective smells the worst. The more organic repellents that are made of citrus is relatively more bearable. So, it’s important to consider this factor when choosing your repellent.
What are the best mosquito repellents?
The best mosquito repellents should ideally be powerful enough to ward off mosquitos and other pests without harming your skin. Another important factor is longevity. The effects should not disappear after a few hours.
- Taking all this into consideration the best mosquito repellent is Incognito Insect Repellent Spray and Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent Spray Extra. These are all-natural sprays that contain zero-DEET and are extremely effective. Mosi-guard can even be used on children.
- While DEET-based mosquito repellents are powerful. It isn’t the best for human beings. While most manufacturers claim it does nothing. Investing in an all-natural yet effective repellent is the better choice.
Are there any risks associated with the use of mosquito repellents?
While there have been some reports stating there are links between some health complications and the use of DEET (the active ingredient in mosquito repellents), there’s no actual proof to substantiate this claim. DEET remains to this day as the safest choice of ingredient that will effectively keep mosquitos away.
What are the different types of mosquito repellents I can buy?
Mosquito repellents are available in the form of lotions, aerosol sprays and salves. You also get repellents in the form of wristbands, patches and electric devices that you can attach to your clothes.
Are mosquito bracelets effective?
Truth be told, mosquito repellent bracelets are not as effective at keeping mosquitos away as a good spray or lotion. That’s because the bracelet only provides protection for a small area surrounding the bracelet ad you will need to use a secondary product to protect the rest of your body.
Joanna is a writer, poet, stand-up comedian and holds two master’s in arts and history. She founded Discount-age with the intention of providing her readers with solutions to everyday household problems. During her free time, Joanna loves cooking but usually ends up ordering in.