While I love espressos and lattes, I’ve always had a special place in my hard for filter coffee. Don’t get me wrong, espressos are unique and a good coffee machine can bring out the essence of the bean. However, it contains too much acidity. Filter coffee on the other hand is sweet and mild and can get me through a day with ease. And the best filter coffee is prepared using the best filter coffee machine. Check out our list of the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK.
Unlike espressos, filter coffee isn’t extracted using water pressure. The water blends with the ground coffee and drips down only with the help of gravity. While manually preparing filter coffee is the best, a good drip filter coffee machine can save you the time and energy.
However, not all filter coffee machines are good. So, we’ve compiled a list of the best of the best. Here’s our guide on the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK.
After having reviewed over 100 filter coffee machines based on various factors like design, function, performance, features and price, My team and I at Discount Age zeroed in on 5 that really stood out. These 5 were further put through a series of stress tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best filter coffee machine in the UK is the Melitta Filter Coffee Machine with Insulated Jug. It has a beautiful robust design with a jug that can not only provide 12 cups of coffee but also keep it warm for 2 hours. It also has other unique features such as a descaling feature and aroma selector.
- Best Filter Coffee Machines UK
- #1 — Melitta Filter Coffee Machine with Insulated Jug
- #2 — Russell Hobbs Buckingham Filter Coffee Machine
- #3 — Swan 750ml Programmable Coffee Maker with Anti Drip Function
- #4 — De’Longhi Filter Coffee Machine ICM15210.1
- #5 — Morphy Richards Pour Over Filter Coffee Maker
- Sage the Precision Brewer Coffee Maker
- Breville Mostra Easy Measure Filter Coffee Machine
- Moccamaster 53819 KBG Select UK Plug Filter Coffee Machine
- What are the best filter coffee machines?
- How to choose the right filter coffee machine:
Best Filter Coffee Machines UK
#1 — Melitta Filter Coffee Machine with Insulated Jug
The Melitta Filter Coffee Machine with Insulated Jug is currently the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK. Not only does it have a brilliant design but it is also equipped with tons of features that will blow your mind. You can easily control the strength of the coffee as well.
- This filter coffee machine comes with a brilliant device. It is quite robust but it doesn’t take too much space. The machine has an LED screen along with some button to control the various functions and features. The Jug, on the other hand, is Insulated and is extremely sturdy.
- Unlike the majority of the filter coffee machines out there this one is popular primarily due to the fact that it can keep the coffee warm for 2 hours without the need for a hot plate.
- It comes with a timer feature and can even detect the water hardness level. Most importantly, it has a descaling program which can remove the limescale and improve the quality of the coffee.
This filter coffee machine comes with a patented flavour selector that can adjust the strength of the coffee. It also has an aroma selector function that can ensure the best taste without having to buy expensive coffee or water.
#2 — Russell Hobbs Buckingham Filter Coffee Machine
Russell Hobbs is a legacy brand that is known to make some of the finest household appliances in the UK. And the Russell Hobbs Buckingham Filter Coffee Machine happens to be one of the best selling coffee brands in the market. Unlike most of the other coffee machines, it comes with its own permanent filter (removable/washable). It’s one of the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK.
- With a 1.25-litre capacity jug, you can prepare up to ten cups of coffee at any given time. This filter coffee machine also has a water level indicator and buttons to pour and pause. Additionally, this device has a blue light ring that will light up when it is brewing and when the keep warm function is on.
- It is equipped with an amazing heating element that can help speed up the process of preparing the coffee. According to manufacturers, it can reach the optimum temperature by 50% faster than another coffee machine.
- As mentioned earlier, it comes with a permanent filter that can be removed and wash but it also does have the provision for filter papers.
This coffee machine makes use of a showerhead technology which ensures that all the coffee grains are utilized. It also ensures that the essence and taste are wrung out.
#3 — Swan 750ml Programmable Coffee Maker with Anti Drip Function
The Swan 750ml Programmable Coffee Maker with Anti Drip Function is perfect for the old-timers who want the speed and taste but who also want the ease of use. It’s one of the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK.
- This coffee machine has a capacity of 750ml and can easily fill 5-6 cups. It is also equipped with a bright LCD timer that is easily visible.
- It has safety features like automatic shut-off that will keep you and your house safe, in case you forget to turn it off. This coffee machine will automatically kick in after two hours of inactivity.
Although this coffee machine is simple it has good features like a 24-hour delay, an anti-drip function and a boil dry protection feature. Most importantly, it has a warming plate that can keep the coffee warm for up to two hours.
#4 — De’Longhi Filter Coffee Machine ICM15210.1
It’s not really that surprising that De’Longhi has managed to find it’s way on to this list. This Italian brand makes some of the best coffee machines on this planet. The De’Longhi Filter Coffee Machine ICM15210.1 for example is a quality product that not only has a compact and beautiful design but also features that will make your jaw drop.
- This coffee machine is absolutely beautiful. So, much so that it can easily elevate the ambience of the kitchen. The various components are made from the finest material. For example, the carafe is made from really good quality glass.
- This coffee machine can fill up to 10 cups and has good features like an anti-drip. The hot plat can keep it warm for 40 minutes after brewing.
- Cleaning is, unfortunately, going to be a hassle as it doesn’t come with auto-clean technology. You will have to do it manually and also replace filters all the time.
While most of the features as such isn’t as good as most of the coffee machines out there, this device made it onto this list primarily due to the exceptional taste. Due to its design, it can elevate the taste of even the crappiest of coffees.
#5 — Morphy Richards Pour Over Filter Coffee Maker
The Morphy Richards Pour Over Filter Coffee Maker is honestly one of the best coffee machines on the planet. They’ve managed to incorporate the manual aspect of pour-over coffee into a machine. So, you basically have a machine that can prepare the best pour-over coffee. This results in a smooth and rich flavour.
- This coffee machine is quite robust and will take a considerable amount of space. It can prepare 12 cups of coffee at a given time. It also has a reusable cupcake shaped filter which allows water to evenly flow through the coffee resulting in a smooth taste.
- It injects water in small amounts to let the coffee “bloom”. It basically allows for the formation of a slight amount of carbon dioxide that extracts the flavour of the coffee.
It is equipped with a programmable timer and a strength selector which a decent range.
Sage the Precision Brewer Coffee Maker
- This filter coffee machine is just excellent to experience the freshly brewed filter coffee. There are different preset modes to choose from like gold, fast, strong, cold etc. depending on how you want your coffee to be.
- The machine has a capacity of 1.7L and drips in a thermal jug which makes the entire process hassle free. The thermal jug stays hot for approximately 2 hours which is another awesome feature.
- The auto sleep and release technology makes the process very easy and automatic. You can explore your brew settings like bloom time, brew temperature, and flow rate according to the cup you prefer.
Breville Mostra Easy Measure Filter Coffee Machine
- This Breville Monstra filter coffee maker has a capacity of 1.8L and can make upto 12 cups of coffee at once. It has an inbuilt water filter that removes all the impurities and only serves fresh brewed coffee.
- The blooming feature in this machine presoaks coffee for 30 mins for maximum flavour. It also has a freshness indicator that shows if it’s fresh or not.
- Breville programmable coffee maker also has a 24 hours delay button where you can wake up to freshly brewed coffee, pause and dispense whenever you want to.
Moccamaster 53819 KBG Select UK Plug Filter Coffee Machine
- This Moccamaster coffee machine can brew about 10 cups of coffee with a capacity of 1.25L with auto safety shut feature. This coffee machine is compatible with 4 filters.
- It’s parts are very easy to clean, it’s portable as well as they’re recyclable and BPA free.
- The aluminium body with copper boiling element keeps the brew hot and doesn’t let it cool easily.
- It can make coffee for both small and large quantities according to the need.
What are the best filter coffee machines?
The best filter coffee machines in the UK would be Melitta Filter Coffee Machine with Insulated Jug, Russell Hobbs Buckingham Filter Coffee Machine and Aicok Filter Coffee Machine. These filter coffee machines not only have a beautiful design but they also come with amazing features at an affordable price. Check out our list of the Best Filter Coffee Machines UK for more details.
How Do Filter Coffee Machines Work?
It’s a very simple process. The ground coffee is first put on the cone filter which is usually made with paper or stainless steel. It’s covered with a lid and then the machine is turned on. The brewing takes place inside and the machine drips out coffee from an opening. The brew is then collected in the carafe and served however everyone likes.
Why Buy a Filter Coffee Machine?
Coffee machines are a great way to enjoy a quality cup of freshly brewed coffee. The best feature of a coffee machine is being able to make coffee in large quantities.
How long do filter coffee machines take?
Coffee machines take about 4-6 minutes to brew the coffee. If it takes too long to brew than the coffee is most likely to turn bitter.
How to choose the right filter coffee machine:
Here are few things you need to consider while buying, they are:
- Functionality of the coffee machine: Filter coffee machines have a lot of functions. It’s wise to buy coffee machines that address your needs. For instance, if you’re an early riser, pick a machine with time. If you’re forgetful then take a machine with automatic switch off etc. Most of the coffee makers have pre programmed cycles.
- Hot plate or thermal carafe: Both have their pros and cons. Thermal carafes keep the coffee hot and don’t ruin the taste even after keeping it for a while but are very heavy. Whereas hot plates are easy to use, come with jugs, but can bitter the coffee if kept for sometime. It’s better to go for thermal carafe if you’re someone who keeps the coffee for a while before drinking.
- Flow and temperature control: Flow and temperature control is important as the machine itself determines and brews coffee to a certain temperature and then releases water on top. Machines that don’t have this control often result in over or under coffee extraction.
- Capacity: 1 to 2 litres of coffee maker is generally enough. If you’re from a nuclear family then prefer getting a coffee maker that’s under 1 litre, otherwise you can go for machines with the capacity between 1L to 2L.
- These Instant Coffee Brands Will Blow Your Mind
- Amazing Kettles Of All Time
- Prep Your Food Easily With These Food Processors
Joanna is a writer, poet, stand-up comedian and holds two master’s in arts and history. She founded Discount-age with the intention of providing her readers with solutions to everyday household problems. During her free time, Joanna loves cooking but usually ends up ordering in.