You might think desktops are inching towards oblivion, especially with portable laptops and ever-evolving smartphones dominating the market. But alas, the Desktop is the progenitor for a reason. The level of customization and range of tasks you can achieve is still unbeatable (beast-like performance). Check out our list of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money for all the details!
There are two types of desktops: pre-assembled desktop and desktops that you assemble yourself like the ones you see on gamer vlogs. Pre-assembled desktops would be ideal for students and working professionals.
Honestly, assembling a computer yourself might sound cool and fantastic but if you make a mistake you might lose a shit load of money. So we at Discount Age have compiled a list of the best desktop computers that are true value for money.
After having reviewed all the best desktop computers in the UK in 2021 based on various features like specifications, performance, features, functionality, design, price and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 6 that really stood out. These products were put through a series of stress tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best desktop computer for the money in the UK is the Apple iMac 5K. Not only does it have a powerful processor but it also has a massive 27-inch display that comes with a fantastic 5K display that supports a billion colours. It’s perfect for content creation.
Check out these amazing home appliances
- List of Best Desktop Computers For The Money 2021
- Buying UK Desktops
List of Best Desktop Computers For The Money 2021
#1 — Apple iMac 5K (2019)
The Apple iMac 5K is the best all in one desktop for content creation. It’s actually pretty amazing that Apple has still somehow managed to cram modern and high-end tech behind that giant 27-inch screen. But it’s a legendary device. It certainly is one of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money.
- The massive 27inch display comes with a fantastic 5K display that supports a billion colours. While this screen is beautiful, it is not meant for gamers. Using this computer for gaming alone would be quite unfortunate. This device was built purely to support the video and other types of content creators out there.
- This is because of the brightness, the pixel count can offer an unbelievable amount of detail for video and photo editors. More importantly, this desktop can easily handle heavy media software.
- Which brings us to the performance of this wonderful computer. Although the mac has still maintained its old design, it’s packed with the latest and greatest tech. It is equipped with a 9th generation 3.7GHz 6‑core Intel Core i5 that can turbo boost up to 4.6GHz. It can definitely handle heavy applications with ease. The 2TB Fusion drive is decent enough as far as storage components go. But the 8GB RAM could have been a 16GB to provide a little more leeway when the device is overclocked.
- The Radeon Pro 580X 8GB of VRA is an amazing graphics card usually meant for VR gaming. So it can definitely help provide an amazing visual experience.
- Of course, this desktop computer comes with the ever-popular Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2.
What’s in it for you: This all in one desktop computer is pretty amazing and definitely worth it. Especially if your a video or photo editor. It delivers a brilliant performance and is perfect for both professional and home use.
|CPU||3.0GHz 6‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz) or 3.1GHz 6‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz) or 3.7GHz 6‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)|
|Storage||1TB or 2TB Fusion Drive|
|Graphics||Radeon Pro 570X with 4GB of VRAM or Radeon Pro 575X with 4GB of VRAM or Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of VRA|
|Display||Retina 5K display, 27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display, 5120×2880 resolution with support for 1 billion colours, 500 nits brightness, Wide colour (P3)|
#2 — Dell XPS 8930 SE
The Dell XPS 8930 SE is the perfect desktop for college students and for those who have a very tight budget. By perfect I mean, that you actually get more than what you pay for.
- This is such a perfect desktop. It certainly might not look amazing but damn its too perfect. Not only does the basic configuration give you amazing performance it can be upgraded whenever you want. Not a lot of desktops have that freedom. For example, you can’t upgrade the processor of an iMac, you’re pretty much stuck with it. But this dell is more a one-time investment in an asset that continues to grow.
- Honestly, the basic config is good enough to deal with the majority of tasks and applications used by students or at home. It comes with a 9th gen Intel core i5. This 6 core beast can easily handle high-end software, even games. After all even the iMac is equipped with the same processor and the same 8GB RAM.
- If you mistook “you can play games” for you can also play some low-quality 8-bit games. You’re are in for a surprise. This desktop comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card, so the sky is the limit.
What’s in it for you: It is perfect for those on a tight budget. You get a lot. For a good 1000 quid, you can expect a video editing and high-end gaming level performance. And not a lot of computers allow expansions. It is the best of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money.
|CPU||9th gen Intel Core i5|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti|
#3 — HP Omen Obelisk
Most of the gamers out there want a gaming mini pc but don’t want to spend time building it from scratch. And that’s completely acceptable. After all, it a tedious and expensive job to build your pc. And if something goes wrong, you’ll lose a lot. This is where the HP Omen Obelisk comes in.
- With the Obelisk, you get a pre-assembled gaming PC that performs like a beast. More importantly, the obelisk allows for various customisations and unlimited upgrades.
- You don’t need to feel left out of place when your gaming buddies boast about their assembled PC cause this PC is absolutely brilliant and will definitely give you bragging rights.
- It comes with a 3.20 GHz Intel 6 Core i7 8700 processor with 8 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card.
- The most useful aspect is the fact you can actually save a lot of money by buying this. For example, if you buy less expensive and parts with low power. You can still more or less get amazing performance. So, yeah it definitely is one of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money.
What’s in it for you: The configuration of the obelisk will let you play even the most demanding games in high 4K resolution. Generally, you get about 100FPS and if you overclock it, this beast reciprocates with a greater push. The Spacious chassis always gives you room to cutomise and upgrade as you see fit.
|CPU||3.20 GHz Intel 6 Core i7 8700|
|Storage||2TB + 256GB SSD|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070|
#4 — Apple Mac Mini
If you have a really tight on budget and need a computer to help you out with general tasks, the Apple Mac Mini will be perfect for you.
- You’d be surprised to find that the Mac Mini is actually pretty damn old. It was the second oldest apple product. But, no need to fret, this one is was redesigned and launched in 2018.
- It delivers a relatively decent performance. Especially with its 3.0GHz 6-core Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB Ram.
- It’s really not bad especially for its price of 700 quid.
- The only issue is the obvious lack of space. Even the crappiest desktops come with at least 1 TB these days. So, the 256GB SSD isn’t the greatest. You’re better of going for the 512 GB version.
- Playing games should be the last thing on your mind as this computer does not have a dedicated graphics card.
What’s in it for you: Well it can save you a lot of time and money if your job revolves around basic computation. But, if you want to use this for gaming you are out of luck.
|CPU||3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i3 processor or 3.0GHz 6-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz|
|Storage||256GB or 512GB SSD|
|Graphics||Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Does have a dedicated Graphics Card)|
#5 — Microsoft Surface Studio 2
The price on this desktop might shock you, but it was honestly never meant for the average user. This one is purely for very specific industry professionals like content creators like digital artists, graphic designers and video/photo editors. In fact, one on the higher end of computers, the Surface Studio is actually worth the money.
- The massive 28-inch screen gives you all the room you’ll ever need to work on your art. You can go to unbelievable detail by zooming down to pixel level. You get fantastic brightness and colour quality.
- The Surface Studio 2 works on an Intel Core i7-7820HQ Processor and a 32GB RAM so it can definitely handle heavy photo editing and illustration software with ease. Thankfully it also comes with a 2TB SSD. So it’ll boost the speed and accessibility quite a bit.
- Graphics is the key factor in this one and it doesn’t disappoint, it is equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 memory.
What’s in it for you: It might be expensive but is a great asset for a digital artist and video/photo editors. The most amazing this is the performance and the pen. Yup, the pen is super important as it’ll give you the freedom to do amazing things. With palm rejection, you can draw in detail and with accuracy.
|CPU||Intel Core i7-7820HQ Processor|
|RAM||32GB DDR4 RAM|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 memory|
|Display||28” PixelSense Display, 4500 x 3000 (192 PPI) Resolution, sRGB, DCI-P3, and Vivid Display|
#6 — Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is the best budget desktop computer in the market. This is actually the primary reason it made it onto this list. Priced at a mere 51 quid, this powerful CPU can ensure you can complete your tasks with ease. Of course, high end gaming would be out of the question.
- Unlike majority of the desktop computers out there, this workhorse doesn’t come with it’s own exterior or even a chassis of any sort. Yes, you only get the Motherboard and the other integral components a unit. So, if your planning on buying this computer, be ready to shell out a few more pounds on a chassis.
- This board is pretty much the only thing you get with this computer. There won’t be any peripherals. So, don’t be surprised when you find a computer without a monitor.
- When it comes to the specs, this computer is pretty solid. The CPU consists of a Broadcom BCM2711 and Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8). It is more than enough to execute word processing and other office tasks. It also has a fairly decent OpenGL ES 3.0 GPU that can run Adobe Flash.
Check out alternatives of Raspberry Pi.
What’s in it for you: All in all, this computer is perfect for a backed set up in a company. While it will be difficult to execute video editing tasks, data entry is a piece of cake.
Buying UK Desktops
What is the UK best desktop computer for home use?
The best desktop for home use is the Dell XPS 8930 SE. It is probably the most perfect desktop in existence. Not only is it budget-friendly, it delivers more that it’s supposed to. For a price of £1000, you get an unbelievable configuration: 9th gen i5 processor with 8GB RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.
It is definelty more than enough for home use. Check out our list of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money for all the details!
What is the UK best desktop computer for 2021?
It would be hands down the HP Omen Obelisk. Yes, it is a gaming computer but it definitely deserves the title of the best computer in 2021. You get a beast like over performance for a good price. What more can you ask for? Space for unlimited customization and limitless upgrades? Yep, you can check that off too. Check out our list of the Best Desktop Computers For The Money for all the details!
- Best 50 inch Smart TVs | For a Fantastic Visual Experience
- UK Electronics Shopping Sites that WOW
- Best Head Torches and Headlamps | For Adventure and Much More!